Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Six Hours in the Life of a Mount Student Volunteer

For me, volunteering is always both fun and rewarding. Knowing that you are able to help and have fun as well is surely worth one's time. On March 5, I had a chance to put six hours of my time to very good use, when I was a volunteer at Explore the Mount, our winter Open Campus Day.


Sitting on the table for the speed networking was a very good way to start the day. I had the chance to share my life as a Mount student to prospective students and their parents, and to answer the questions they had about how fun it is here at the Mount. One student asked me if there was one thing I didn't like about the Mount, and it took me forever to think, because there are actually none! Well, ok, I said walking up the hill is always a challenge. But hey! I can attest that it's a good exercise. Doing it daily keeps me healthy and fit!


Breaking into groups and leading the students to their 'classrooms' brought back memories of when I was trying to find a classroom during my first term here at the Mount. It was great way to help future Mount students NOT to get lost in Seton!


Even lunch time was so much fun. Aramark did a very good job. The food they served was really fantastic. From the veggies to the wraps, it was all healthy. It's definitely one aspect that parents
can let out a sigh of relief, knowing that their children will be eating healthy while on campus.


The info session proved to be really informative even to a current Mount student like me. I had a chance to ask about the different services the library has to offer; the different countries a Mount student can go for an exchange; the different student societies and what they have to offer; the counseling services; the career planning services. It made me realize that there is absolutely a lot of assistance a Mount Student can take advantage of to help them become a well rounded individual!


Raffle time was SO exciting! How I wish I also had a chance to join. I wanted those amazing prices that they were giving away especially the NETBOOK!


Just when I thought the fun was over, there was still one final activity that I think was a very great way to end the funfilled day. The campus tour! Students were grouped into two, those who wanted to see the residences and the other group who is not thinking of living in residence. Other student volunteers lead the tours of our beautiful campus and it was equally fun for the prospective students and the student leaders as well.


Indeed, it was a very worthwhile six hours of my time! Until the next Explore the Mount!

No comments:

Post a Comment